Orkney Golf Club
Coursetype: A scenic parkland course fairly flat in nature and should be an easy walking course. A few gorse bushes and a few bunkers you really don’t want to visit
Number Of Holes: 18
Yardage: From the white tees 5575 yards
Bar/Restaurant: The spacious clubhouse provides excellent bar and catering facilities. The lounge and bar is situated on the upper floor of the clubhouse with splendid views over the course
Drinks/Snacks: Bar snacks and sandwiches are available all day
Changing Facilities: The Ladies and Gents locker rooms provide changing facilities for the visitor
Shower Facilities: Showers available for visitors use
Scorecard and layout
Orkney Golf Club Scorecard and Course layout. Click or Tap Image to see full size
Pro-Shop: Golfers essentials are sold from the bar
Golf Club Hire: Golf clubs available to hire
Buggy Hire: Buggies available to hire best to pre book to ensure availability
Trolley Hire: Pull trolleys available to hire
Practice Area: Indoor and outdoor practice areasitleist balls
Putting Practice: Practice putting green available
Location and Route Planning
Book a Hotel now
In their Words…….
Many people are surprised to find that the game of golf in Orkney dates back as far as the 16th century, a letter sent by a servant to Earl Stewart requested golf balls for him to play, also a number of other historical documents mention early golf and golfing equipment. It was possible that they played golf over the links in Birsay, that being a place most reminiscent of early links courses. Golf, however, it seems died away in Orkney around the time of the Jacobite Rebellion.
In the 1890’s Orkney Golf Club began its move from the links at Birsay to a site at Pickaquoy on the edge of Kirkwall. However as the Victorian era drew to a close, the members of the Orkney Golf Club became so dissatisfied with the conditions on their course at Pickaquoy that they entered into a discussion with the factor for the Dundas Estates to rent approximately 40 acres of land between the fields of Grainbank Farm and the heather of Wideford Hill. The newly acquired land at Grainbank was converted into a nine-hole golf course for use by the summer of 1902. The club was offered the rental of an additional 60 acres on which to lay out a further nine holes, thus promoting the course to the standard 18 holes.
The planned opening of the extended course was achieved and, on Wednesday, July 4th 1923, the opening ceremony took place in the presence of some 200 members and friends.Modernisation and enlargement of the clubhouse was the next project and in 1960 to finance this, a field of surplus land was sold. The improved clubhouse facilities satisfied members for many years until the leaks through the original roof became unbearable. Discussions on a replacement began in the late 1980’s and it was finally decided that a new club house was necessary.
Plans were approved, construction commenced in 1991, and the present day building was opened in 1992. The club is the oldest in Orkney and the course offers a beautiful panoramic view over the Northern Isles, and the town of Kirkwall and is the longest on the Orkney Islands at 5,575 yards.
Orkney Golf Club has a modern clubhouse, with changing and locker facilities for ladies and gents. The lounge and bar is situated on the upper floor of the clubhouse with splendid views over the course. The bar offers a range of soft drinks, wine, beer, spirits, tea and coffee, it is open at various times and on competition days during the summer season.Orkney Golf Club