181 Whitehouse Road
Phone: +44 (0)131 339 6474
Website : www.royalburgess.co.uk
In Their Words ...........
The Royal Burgess Golfing Society, founded in 1735, is the oldest golfing society in the world and one of only 10 “Royal” golf clubs in Scotland. While primarily a members’ club with a rich tradition, visitors and guests are made to feel very welcome. Located on the outskirts of Edinburgh, the golf course is just six miles from the city centre and easily accessible by road, rail or air.
The mature parkland course was originally designed by Willie Park Jnr with subsequent improvements from Harry Colt and Philip Mackenzie Ross. The course has played host to a number of notable tournaments. The current course record of 63 was established by Paul Leonard during the Martini Tournament in 1973, the current amateur record of 64 was scored in 2003 by Burgess member Fraser McCluskey, whilst playing in a Society medal.
The course at Barnton measures 6,511 yards (5931 metres) and has a par of 71. It is set in beautiful parkland just 6 miles from the City Centre and one of the features is the variety and positioning of many mature trees including a large number of specimen trees. The Course provides a rewarding challenge to golfers of all abilities and always maintained to the highest standards by the Greenkeeping team and is renowned for its smooth fast greens, lush, well manicured fairways and well positioned and designed bunkersSuccessive Councils have carried out programmes of enhancement and improvement of what is undoubtedly one of Scotland’s finest parkland courses.
Constantly aware of the Society’s link with the history and tradition of the game, they have endeavoured to adopt progressive policies, which achieve a pragmatic balance between the past and the needs of members and visitors in the 21st century.The course is lovingly maintained by loyal and dedicated greenstaff and is recognised as one of best parkland courses in the country. The clubhouse blends tradition with functionality, all the main public rooms overlook the course and have an interesting selection of historic paintings and memorabilia and offers both fine and casual dining facilities.
The staff pride themselves on the quality of service provided to members, their guests and visitors. We hope that we can share the Burgess Experience with you.
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Mature Parkland with tree lined fairways and is recognised as one of best parkland courses in the country
- Number Of Holes: 18
- Yardage: Red medal tees 6511 yds
- Par: 71
- Bar/Restaurant: Quality cuisine and service available from the various Bar and Dining areas
- Drinks/Snacks: Snack menu available
- Changing Facilities: Excellent separate changing and showering facilities for both ladies and gentlemen and lockers are available for personal belongings when you’re out on the course
- Shower Facilities: Yes
- Pro-Shop: Pro shop sells all the leading golf brands, as well as a great selection of Society branded merchandise. The Royal Burgess is one of only four Titleist Scotty Cameron putter fit centres in Scotland, are also a Titleist Vokey wedge fit centre and stock all the other major brands including Ping, Callaway and Taylor Made.
- Golf Club Hire: Current Titleist, Ping and Callaway sets are available to choose from, each set comes with a complimentary push trolley.
- Buggy Hire: Buggies are available to hire, best to pre book
- Trolley Hire: Pull and power trolleys are available to hire
- Practice Area: Yes
- Putting Practice: Yes
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning