43 Murrayfield Road
Phone: +44 (0)131 337 3478
e-mail: Contact Form
In Their Words ...........
It was 1904 when the course was wholly laid out on the Ravelston Estate west of Murrayfield Road. The course was then 4,930 yards for 18 holes a distance regarded as adequate for the ball and club technology of the day, viz. Haskell and hickory. Look for the maps of the early courses as you climb the stairs to the upstairs lounge in the clubhouse.
It was this layout that Harry Vardon and James Braid famously played in their exhibition match on 30th July 1904, attracting many thousands to the course. Their match did much for the early reputation of Murrayfield, not only as a picturesque course, but also as a challenging test of golf. The match was filmed and a copy was discovered in 1992. Preserved and stabilised, it was found to be one of the oldest golfing films of actual play known to exist. This fact, and the fame of its subjects, made it of considerable interest when it was auctioned at Phillips in Edinburgh before the 1992 Muirfield Open. It was bought by a consortium of members and now finds a home in the Golf Museum in St Andrews.
Set around Corstorphine Hill, Murrayfield Golf Club is only 5 minutes from Edinburgh City Centre. Our 18 hole course is a parkland/heathland layout and offers golfers of all abilities a fair test of golf whilst enjoying spectacular views over Edinburgh, East Lothian & Fife.
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Parkland and Heathland mix. Designed using the natural contours of the Corstorphine Hill
- Number Of Holes: 18
- Yardage: 5781 yds
- Par: 70
- Bar/Restaurant: Bar and catering available in the lounge, dining room and balcony area
- Drinks/Snacks: Snack menu available
- Changing Facilities: Yes
- Shower Facilities: Yes
- Pro-Shop: Pro shop fully stocked with all the leading brands golf equipment
- Golf Club Hire: Golf clubs available to hire, best to pre book
- Buggy Hire: No buggies available to hire
- Trolley Hire: Pull and power trolleys available to hire
- Practice Area: Covered bays (6) available, must use own golf balls
- Putting Practice: Yes
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning