27 Braid Hills Approach
Phone: + 44 (0) 131 447 6666
In Their Words ...........
The City of Edinburgh Council owns Braid Hills Golf Course, the Management Company, Edinburgh Leisure is responsible for the green fees.
The historic Braid Hills Golf Course recently marked 125 years. Designed by three times Open champion Bob Ferguson and Peter McEwan, a 19th century clubmaker from Musselburgh it officially opened in 1889. The following year, to show its support for the new course, the Edinburgh Evening Standard launched its own golfing competition to take place on the Braids and the Dispatch Trophy was born which is still being contested for today. Famous golfers of the time took to the Braids to perfect their swings and putting. James Braid, who won the British Open five times, would practice there regularly, while Tommy Armour, who went on to win the US Open, the British Open and the PGA Championship, honed his skills on the Braids while he was convalescing after the First World War.
With outstanding views to the Pentland Hills and the panorama across Edinburgh’s skyline to the Firth of Forth, the natural contours and native gorse bushes shape the parkland course and will give golfers of all abilities a memorable round - and provide a challenge for the more experienced. As one of the oldest and best loved public courses in Scotland, the dramatic setting provides a wonderful feeling of space and isolation on what can at times be a busy course, especially at weekends.
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Parkland, the natural contours and native gorse bushes on this hilly layout means the test is not about the length but about hitting shots from one hilly crag to the next.
- Number Of Holes: 18
- Yardage: 5858yds from the white tees
- Par: 71
- Bar/Restaurant: There are no catering facilities in the clubhouse
- Drinks/Snacks: Hot /cold drinks and confectionary available from the reception area
- Changing Facilities: Changing rooms, toilets and lockers
- Shower Facilities: No
- Pro-Shop: Golf Shop offering golf accessories
- Golf Club Hire: Golf clubs available to hire
- Buggy Hire: Buggies are available to hire but it is best to pre-book
- Trolley Hire: Pull trolleys are available to hire
- Practice Area: No
- Putting Practice: Practice putting green available
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning