Phone: +44 (0) 1333 450686
In Their Words ...........
Formed in 1786, the Society is the 7th oldest golf club in the world. A combination of stunning coastal views, centuries of history and hugely enjoyable golf is what makes Balcomie Links one of Scotland's most finely polished, golfing gems.This traditional, classic links course was laid out by the old master himself, Tom Morris, and opened in 1895.
Created in the days when course design was governed by the natural lie of the land and not the mechanical earth mover, Balcomie has the unusual combination of three par fives, six par threes and nine par fours, producing a tough par of 69. Extraordinary holes abound, along with those which seriously challenge and those which are more comfortable. The sum total is a layout which both enchants and delights, but which also demands and punishes, testing all the skills in a golfer's armoury – as well as his nerve.
Those length seekers who believe Balcomie will be a soft touch, do so at their peril. Not content with a devilishly testing layout, Old Tom designed the course in such a way as to take maximum advantage of its exhilarating seaside location. Shots over rocky bays, long par threes with greens perched on top of vertical cliffs, shots to greens seemingly engulfed by gorse, curving par fours round sandy strands - daring the golfer to cut off too much, shots from cliff tops to greens and fairways invitingly laid out below, all these and more make up the Balcomie experience.
Our two courses - Balcomie Links and Craighead Links - combine spectacular views and extraordinary holes to provide challenging and enjoyable golf.
Perched high on a rock overlooking the 18th green on the Balcomie Course with 270 degree views of the sea, the clubhouse of Crail Golfing Society arguably affords one of the most spectacular locations for any clubhouse in Scotland. As you look out at sea, beach and rocks and can just discern the Stevenson built "Bell Rock Lighthouse" on the distant horizon, you know that you are in a very special place.
TripAdvisor Course Review
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Two traditional links courses, Balcomie Links a classic designed by Old Tom Morris, the Craighead Links a newer but challenging cliff top links
- Number Of Holes: Both courses are 18 holes
- Yardage: Balcomie Links 5861 yds, Craighead Links 6722 yds
- Par: Balcomie Links 69, Craighead Links 72
- Bar/Restaurant: Two bars and Three Dining areas along with views of the course and beyond make this an experience never to forget
- Drinks/Snacks: Extensive snack menu available
- Changing Facilities: Yes
- Shower Facilities: Yes
- Pro-Shop: Pro Shop fully stocked with all the leading brands golf equipment
- Golf Club Hire: Golf Clubs available to hire, best to pre book
- Buggy Hire: Buggies and Local Caddies available to hire, must be pre booked
- Trolley Hire: Pull trolleys available to hire
- Practice Area: Driving Range and Practice area available
- Putting Practice: Yes
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit this outstanding Website
Location and Route Planning