The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers
Muirfield Golf Course
Number Of Holes: 18
Yardage: From the white tees 7245 yards
Imortant Visitor Information: We welcome visitors (minimum age 16) on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the year. Visitors must have recognised handicaps of 18 or less and should bring with them certified handicap certificates as these may be required prior to play. You must visit this visitor link for visitors notes of guidance
Coursetype: A classic Scottish links, is a renowned host to major championships amateur and professional, international and national, men and ladies. Changes were made at fifteen holes following a review by Martin Hawtree to ensure that Muirfield remained a suitable challenge for the world’s best professional and amateur golfers.
Bar/Restaurant: Dining available in the clubs public rooms
Drinks/Snacks: Lunch is available only to those playing golf and is served between 12.30 and 3.00pm
Changing Facilities: Changing available in the Ladies and Gents public locker rooms, there are no secure lockers available for visitors
Shower Facilities: Showers available for visitors use
Pro-Shop: There is no pro shop at Muirfield however there are balls and course plans from the counter
Scorecard and layout
Muirfield Golf Course Scorecard and Course layout. Click or Tap Image to see full size
Golf Club Hire: Golf clubs available to hire
Buggy Hire: Muirfield is a walking course, Caddies are available, if requested at least 24 hours in advance. There are 2 buggies available for hire, these are allocated on a first come first serve basis, and made available only to those who would not otherwise be able to play golf
Trolley Hire: Pull trolleys available for use free of charge
Practice Area: A full driving range, chipping area are available for use prior to play. Complimentary practice balls are provided
Putting Practice: Large practice putting green available
Location and Route Planning
World Handicap System
In their Words…….
In 1795 the Club applied to the Lord Provost, the Magistrates and Council of the City of Edinburgh for a Charter. This was granted on March 26th 1800 together with a Seal of Clause under the new title of ‘The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers’. From the outset, the Company was being asked for its opinion and decisions on the Rules of Play and so, in 1775 and again in 1809 the rules were revised and expanded.
With many members in common, the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews also helped answer those rules questions and, in the late 19th century, The Honourable Company passed over all authority for future changes and decisions on the rules to the R&A.
The Company moved to Musselburgh in July 1836. Without a clubhouse the Members stored their clubs in rooms under the race-course grandstand. This was hardly suitable and in 1868 the Club built a clubhouse, and started to charge members an annual subscription. The Musselburgh course was now shared by four clubs and once again, overcrowding led the Club to move.
In 1891 they purchased The Howes, another old horse-racing track on the Archerfield Estate at Dirleton leading cynics to claim that all The Honourable Company had done was move ‘from one race-course to another.’ The course, called Muirfield, was designed by Tom Morris and, within a year it hosted the Open Championship.
Over the winters of 2010 and 2011, changes were made at fifteen holes following a review by Martin Hawtree to ensure that Muirfield remained a suitable challenge for the world’s best professional and amateur golfers. In summary those changes included the introduction of new bunkers in selected drive areas; the relocation of greenside bunkers to tighten the entrances to greens; the extension of greens to provide more championship pin positions and the introduction of six new championship tees taking the course to 7245 yards in length.
While many in number, the changes were subtle in nature and the essential characteristic of Muirfield has been carefully retained. The most noticeable difference would be the 9th Hole which is now a truly testing par 5, particularly into the prevailing wind.
Built in 1891 for a cost of £1,574, the original clubhouse was unkindly described as a ‘box-framed’ salon with its Elizabethan design and half-timbered main gable. The designer, Hall Blyth a Past Captain of the Club was an engineer but not an architect and it would be interesting to know exactly what he thought when he introduced this exotic pattern to Muirfield. Over the passage of time, and modified by subsequent extensions, the clubhouse now harmonises well with both the landscape and the buildings on either side. It sits behind the 18th green as one of the truly iconic images in world championship golf.
The staff pride themselves on the quality of service enjoyed by Members, their guests and visitors and try to give everyone at Muirfield a truly memorable experience.The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers