Longniddry Golf Club
Links Road Road
Coursetype: Longniddry Golf Course is a mix of parkland and heathland with a few links like rolling fairways, no par 5’s with many raised large greens and approaches that you would expect of a links layout. Longniddry is the closest seaside course to Edinburgh, comprising an unusual combination of woodland and links, with spectacular sea views from many holes.
Number Of Holes: 18
Yardage: From the white tees 6260 yards
Bar/Restaurant: Inside the clubhouse the dining room and lounge has a well stocked bar and a spike bar. A wide selection of catering is offered from light bar snacks to a full three course meal
Drinks/Snacks: Bar snacks and sandwiches are available all day
Changing Facilities: The Ladies and Gents secure locker rooms provide changing facilities for the visitor
Shower Facilities: Showers available for visitors use
Scorecard and layout
Longniddry Golf Club Scorecard. Click or Tap Image to see full size
Pro-Shop: Professional shop stocks a wide range of accessories,equipment,clothing, clubs, repairs or tuition. Main stockists of Titleist and Ping equipment
Golf Club Hire: Golf clubs available to hire
Buggy Hire: Buggies available to hire best to pre book to ensure availability. Caddies are also available, contact the pro for details
Trolley Hire: Pull and battery powered trolleys available to hire
Practice Area: There are practice nets for the visitor to loosen off
Putting Practice: Large practice putting green available
In their Words…….
Mary Queen of Scots was known to be playing golf in the area of Longniddry in 1567 – ‘over the fields of Seton’ – shortly after the murder of Darnley and was admonished accordingly! It was another two hundred years, however, before the 7th Earl of Wemyss & March bought land at Gosford ‘to be nearer the golf’ and a further one hundred and fifty years before the 11th Earl of Wemyss invited Harry S. Colt to design and build 18 holes
150 acres were made available and thousands of trees were cleared to create a course measuring some 6,369 yards. Some of the felling occurred in (what was) the Boglehill Wood, thought to be a site of worship for local witches and warlocks and now the site of the 6th and 10th greens.
There have been a number of alterations to Harry Colt’s original layout. In 1936, James Braid was invited to advise on the second hole, following which a number of changes were made to the course, although none, it would appear, to the second! Braid’s ledger records that he received a payment of £26 for his services.The course now occupies a modest 106 acres and measures 6,230 yards, but with four of the most celebrated course architects having left their distinguished mark, it is always a joy to play.
Longniddry is located on the south shore of the Firth of Forth at the start to what is arguably the finest stretch of golfing coastline in the world. Just a 15 minute train ride from the centre of Edinburgh this Harry S Colt design offers a traditional test of golf over its unique combination of links and woodland, many holes having spectacular views to the city centre, beyond to the Forth Bridges and across the Firth of Forth to Fife.
Inside the clubhouse there is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, the 18th green sits next to the clubhouse and in full view of the patio area, a popular spot when the weather is kind. A wide selection of catering is offered from light bar snacks to a full three course meal.Longniddry Golf Club