Phone: + 44 (0) 1387 880677
In Their Words ...........
Southerness Golf Course in Dumfries and Galloway was designed by MacKenzie Ross, and built in 1947. In 1946 Major Oswald decided to create a golf course on the land which he considered suitable due to sandy base. Southerness Golf Course was laid out by Messrs. Sutton and Sons, Reading, the greens were sown from seed. It measured 6,250 yards but tiger tees were available which increased the length to over 7,000 yards. The course was built for the amazing sum of just £2,000.
The course is situated on the Solway coast giving panoramic views of the Solway Firth, the Cumbrian Lake District to the south, and the Galloway Hills to the west. The terrain is level allowing for easy walking with no hills to climb. Being totally remote from large centres of population a feeling of being well away from the rat race is engendered. This feeling is enhanced by the course design which means that players are seldom aware of others on the course. MacKenzie Ross’s brilliant design has been complemented by an excellent Head Greenkeeper and staff, who have now had a settled period of several years together which has brought the course into tip top condition. The 12th hole is generally regarded as the signature hole. This is a 421 yard par four with a left to right dog leg. Fairway bunkers right and left require an accurate tee shot. Having split the fairway the hole then opens out to view a green, protected by bunkers on the right, a pond to the left, a large mound guarding front left entry, and the beach ten yards behind the green.
The clubhouse also contains a large bar lounge, television lounge, and a dining room, which serves a very high quality of food at more than reasonable prices.
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: This is a true Championship Links course, the terrain is level allowing for easy walking with no hills to climb. Being totally remote from large centres of population you are far away from the madding crowd which is enhanced by the course design which means that players are seldom aware of others on the course.
- Number Of Holes: 18
- Yardage: From the white tees 6566 yards
- Par: 69
- Bar/Restaurant: For formal dining there is a spacious dining room or if you prefer the informal setting in the lounge there is a well stocked bar with very competitive prices where you will find a selection of meals available from a bar menu.
- Drinks/Snacks: An All-Day snack menu available from the lounge
- Changing Facilities: Clubhouse has secure locker rooms
- Shower Facilities: Ladies and Gents showers available
- Pro-Shop: There is no Pro Shop but golfers essentials are availble from the clubhouse
- Golf Club Hire: No golf club hire facility available
- Buggy Hire: There are no buggys available to hire
- Trolley Hire: Pull trolleys available to hire from the clubhouse
- Practice Area: Practice net and pitching area
- Putting Practice: Two Practice putting greens available
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning