Phone: +44 (0)1292 311555
In Their Words ...........
Royal Troon Golf Club is honoured to host The 145th Open Championship in July 2016. This will be the ninth occasion The Open has been held at Troon. Considering the Club's humble beginning in 1878, the journey has been remarkable with great credit due to some forward thinking members during the Club's early years. Troon Golf Club was awarded Royal status in 1978 to celebrate its Centenary and has since been known as Royal Troon Golf Club.
In the early part of 1970s the Ailsa Room was erected and most recently (2006) the Clubhouse was redeveloped to provide an extended Ailsa Room, an integral Professional Shop, new offices, and in general a fully upgraded and newly furnished Clubhouse. This provides a place of warmth and charm, where the golfer may relax in comfortable surroundings.
Old Course. One of the great links courses in Scotland, the Old Course is a challenging test of golfing ability. With the wind to contend with, and deep rough interspersed with gorse and broom, accurate shot making is essential. Players should make their scores on the outward nine, as the prevailing north-westerly wind can make the back nine extremely difficult.
Portland Course. The Portland Course, originally designed by the Troon professional William Fernie, winner of the Open Championship in 1883, was opened in 1895 and subsequently redesigned by Dr Alister MacKenzie in the early 1920’s. Although a links course, the Portland is a little more sheltered than the Old Course and, of course, shorter. The holes meander through terrain filled with gorse and broom and has a generous helping of Par 3s, five in all. This is tempered however, with five Par 5s, four of which are on the back nine.
On behalf of the membership and staff it would be a pleasure to welcome you to Royal Troon Golf Club. We are proud of our heritage and traditions which go back to the formation of the Club in 1878. Royal Troon has hosted many major Championships and the fairways have been graced by most famous golfers. Enjoy your game in the knowledge that you are treading in the footsteps of Sarazen, Locke, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Watson amongst many others. We encourage you to enjoy our excellent bar and dining service and view the numerous photographs, artefacts and golfing memorabilia throughout the Clubhouse.
A visitor to Royal Troon will enjoy the ambience which pervades within and will delight in the many artefacts which decorate the Main Corridor and Reception Lobby.
TripAdvisor Course Review
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Two links courses, The Old Course a classic championship links, Portland Course shorter and more sheltered than the Old Course but still a fair test
- Number Of Holes: Old Course and Portland Course are 18 holes each
- Yardage: Old Course white tees 6641 yds, Portland Course 6289 yds
- Par: The Old Course 71, The Portland Course 71
- Bar/Restaurant: Fine dining available in the clubhouse dining room and Ailsa Room.
- Drinks/Snacks: Snack menu available in the Club Bar and Ailsa Room
- Changing Facilities: Yes, clubhouse locker room.
- Shower Facilities: Yes
- Pro-Shop: Pro shop stocked with all the golfers essentials. Visitor tee times are restricted, must check website for availability
- Golf Club Hire: Golf Clubs available to hire
- Buggy Hire: Buggies available to hire, best to pre book. Caddies are available to hire, must be pre booked
- Trolley Hire: Pull and power trolleys are available to hire
- Practice Area: Private Driving Range and dedicated short game practice area
- Putting Practice: Yes
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning