2 Links Road
Phone: +44 (0)1292 477404
In Their Words ...........
Prestwick Golf Club, the Birthplace of the Open Championship, welcomes all golfers from around the world to come and enjoy our testing historic Links. The history of Prestwick Golf Club stretches back over 160 years to a time when golf was in its infancy.
In 1851, a group of 57 enthusiastic members, who met regularly at the Red Lion Inn, made the momentous decision to form a golf club purchasing two cottages opposite the tavern. The first cottage would become the members’ clubhouse whilst the other was gifted to the club’s Keeper of the Green, ball and clubmaker - Old Tom Morris. Together with a gold medal presented by the club’s first captain (the Earl of Eglinton) for an annual competition still played for today, the legend of Prestwick was born.
Situated on a stretch of golfing terrain unrivalled in the world, Prestwick is less than a couple of hours travel from all the other Open Championship courses in Scotland and is a must play for any discerning lover of the game.
Rich in character, the famous clubhouse is as much part of the Prestwick experience as the celebrated course over which the Open Championship was first played. Here prized golfing memorabilia adorn aged wood-panelled walls with infectious laughter wafting through the corridors. This is a place where history brushes shoulders with unreserved fun. Prestwick’s clubhouse is delightful not only for the glimpse it offers into golf’s past, but also for the warm welcome given to visitors who are granted club membership for the day. Guided tours are actively encouraged to take in the highlights of the early days of the Open Championship as well as the club’s rich history and its links with the Morris family. For lovers of the game, this is where golf’s myths and legends come to life.
TripAdvisor Course Review
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Traditional Links(Visitors weekdays, limited Sunday times)
- Number Of Holes: 18
- Yardage: 6551 yds from the white tees
- Par: 71
- Bar/Restaurant: Full lunch is available in the Dining Room on Tuesday to Friday between 12.30 and 2.30pm (booking in advance is required). Smart dress equivalent Jacket collar and tie. A snack lunch is available in the Cardinal Room from Sunday to Friday between 10.00am and 3.45pm. Golf attire may be worn in the Cardinal Room.
- Drinks/Snacks: Snacks available in the Cardinal Room
- Changing Facilities: Changing facilities available in the visitors changing room
- Shower Facilities: Showers available, towels provided
- Pro-Shop: Large fully stocked shop with all the leading brands golf equipment, clothing and accessories. Also available are various items of Prestwick Golf Club branded clothing and accessories
- Golf Club Hire: Quality left and right handed golf clubs available to hire
- Buggy Hire: No, due to the terrain. Caddies are available
- Trolley Hire: Pull and Battery Power trolleys available to hire
- Practice Area: Short game practice area available
- Putting Practice: Practice putting green available
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning