Phone: +44 (0)1294 314000
In Their Words ...........
In February 2003, Loch Lomond Golf Club acquired a new links course near the legendary town of Troon in Ayrshire. It was intended to not only enhance the Club’s prominence within international circles but also to provide its esteemed international membership with a challenging alternative links venue.
Designed by the highly acclaimed golf course architect Kyle Phillips, also renowned in the UK for Kingsbarns and The Grove, the 7,100-yard, par 72 course was inspired by the timeless architecture of the great Ayrshire links courses of Royal Troon, Prestwick and Western Gailes, all connected by the historic rail line.
At the time of purchase, the course was known as Southern Gailes and it has since been renamed ‘Dundonald Links’ to reflect the history of the site. Kyle Phillips intimated from the outset that it was his intention “to create a championship Ayrshire links that felt and played as though it was an old, rediscovered course.” A traditionalist and also the designer of Kingsbarns near St Andrews and The Grove in Hertfordshire, Phillips moved some earth around while constructing Dundonald Links but only where it was necessary to enhance the existing contours. The result is a thoroughly natural test of golf, one that is comparable to nearby Royal Troon and Turnberry, but with a character all of its own.
The fairways are generous and, regardless of your handicap, the course is a welcome challenge for players of all ability. Philips used his vivid imagination and the light, sandy soil to build a traditional 7,100-yard masterpiece that lingers in the memory long after a visit is over.Dundonald Links has become recognised as one of Europe’s “must play” links courses. It has played host to a number of professional and amateur tournaments, including pre-qualifying for the European Tour and the Senior British Open Championship. The course is open to visitor play and Membership opportunities are available.
Relax after play with hospitality in the comfort of the Spike Bar, where you can enjoy panaromic views of the Ayrshire coastline and watch final play on the 18th. An outdoor terrace overlooking the course offers the perfect place to unwind in the summer sunshine. The Spike Bar is open all day for golfers and non-golfers, serving breakfast, fresh baking and a great choice of hot and cold dishes including the classic DL Burger with Chips and lighter options such as soup and sandwiches
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Traditional Scottish Links. Built using the natural features of this links ground the fairways are generous and, regardless of your handicap, the course is a welcome challenge for players of all ability
- Number Of Holes: 18
- Yardage: White Tees 6340 yds
- Par: 72
- Bar/Restaurant: Full Bar and dining facilities
- Drinks/Snacks: Light Snacks from the bar snack menu
- Changing Facilities: Visitor changing facilities
- Shower Facilities: Yes
- Pro-Shop: Fully Stocked with Leading Golf Brands
- Buggy Hire: Yes (Caddies are also available)
- Trolley Hire: Powakaddy and Trolley
- Practice Area: Large practice area available to use
- Putting Practice: Practice putting green available
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning