Phone: + 44 (0) 1292 616255
In Their Words ...........
Designed by legendary golf course deigner James Braid, Belleisle and Seafield are located in the picturesque setting of Belleisle Park, Ayr. Opened in 1927, Belleisle - a respected championship course, quickly gained its reputation as one of the UK’s finest inland public courses. Alongside its ‘little sister’ Seafield, each offers their own unique golfing challenge.
Making the most of the natural landscape and with spectacular views across the water to Arran, these classic Scottish golf courses are a ‘must’ for any Braid and golfing fan. The racetrack, leased from the Council by the committee of the Western Meeting, was on an area of common land near Belleisle estate, and for some years, local people had played golf there on an unauthorised course they had created. The Council decided to lay out a proper course, and Charles Hunter of Prestwick Golf Club was brought in to do this.
The course was of no particular distinction, and space was restricted, but golf was so popular with locals and visitors that it was frequently overcrowded. Various schemes for a new golf course were considered, but no suitable land could be found until Belleisle estate came on the market in 1926. The Council purchased the estate, and James Braid, five-time Open Championship winner and celebrated golf course architect, was invited to design the courses.
Two courses were planned, No. 1 which became known as Belleisle, and No. 2, incorporating part of the old course, which became known as Seafield. The Council approved Braid’s plan, and the construction contract was awarded to the firm of John R. Stutt of Paisley. (Braid and Stutt often worked closely together in golf course construction.)
In 1978, when the Open Championship was played at Turnberry, Belleisle hosted the qualifying rounds.
Belleisle Park is the perfect venue for group and society golf days. Located on Scotland’s famous golf coast playing either or both of our classic James Braid courses offers the perfect day out for your group. With two different but equally challenging courses that suits every level of golfer and a brand new £1.6M Clubhouse. A licensed café offers a chance to relax either indoors or outdoors whilst enjoying panoramic views to the south over the challenging first on Seafield. It is the perfect setting in which to socialise before and after your round.
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype: Belleisle Golf Course recognised as one of Britains finest parkland courses, works its way through the picturesque Belleisle Estate. Combining the natural landscape with spectacular views to Arran. The wide fairways surrounded by magnificent mature trees gives the golfer the feeling of being on an Island far from the madding crowd
- Coursetype: Seafield Golf Course offers a rare combination of links (not a wave to be seen) and parkland holes that will test the skills and talents of even the most experienced golfer. Seafield is perfect those new to the game. It will still challenge the more accomplished golfer as its defence with small, well protected greens, which ensures accuracy with the short irons and putter, are key to a good score here.
- Number Of Holes: Both Belleisle and Seafield are 18
- Yardage: From the white tees, Belleisle 6419 yards, Seafield 5429 yards.
- Par: Belleisle 71, Seafield 68
- Bar/Restaurant: The Licensed Clubhouse Cafe serves the customary coffee and bacon roll on arrival to high tea after play can all be arranged as part of your day.
- Drinks/Snacks: An All-Day snack and lunch menu as well as coffee and Homemade cakes
- Changing Facilities: Clubhouse has ladies and gents changing facilities
- Shower Facilities: Ladies and Gents showers available
- Pro-Shop: The professional shop is stocked with the latest clothing ranges from manufactures such as Under Armour, Glenmuir, Sunice,Footjoy and Sunderland while products from club manufactures such as Titleist, Ping, TaylorMade and Wilson are always available. Custom fitting and club repairs available
- Golf Club Hire: Golf clubs available to hire
- Buggy Hire: Buggies available to hire
- Trolley Hire: Pull and Power trolleys available to hire
- Practice Area: Practice driving net, Practice Range, Short Game Area, Practice Bunker all available to use
- Putting Practice: Practice putting green available
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information: Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning