Phone: + 44 (0)1674 672932
In Their Words ...........
Our 450-year heritage can be found in every one of our two links courses’ 18 holes. The Montrose Links is one of the oldest and most important venues in the game of golf, in 1562 when James Melvill, a six year-old Montrose schoolboy recorded in his diary that he was taught to “use the glubb for goff” by the Reverend William Gray, this made Montrose Links the fifth oldest recorded golf links in the world, and only at St Andrews has golf been played continuously longer over the same golfing ground.
Significant parts of the present courses, the Medal and Broomfield, are still laid out on what was the original golfing ground Located thirty miles from Dundee and forty miles from Aberdeen and St Andrews, our historic course is ideally situated in between popular golfing hubs and attracts thousands of visitors every year. The stunning Montrose landscape guarantees enjoyment and a very testing experience at one of the oldest golf courses in the world.
Montrose Links offers a fantastic golfing experience and reliable playing conditions throughout the year. Our classic Medal links is complemented by our Broomfield links and together they provide an ideal 36 hole visitor day package.
The Medal Course is challenge for any golfer. This is a traditional Scottish links course with springy turf that grows only close to the sea , dunes,gorse, deep bunkers and tall wavy grass that changes colour and dances in the wind. The holes are laid out in an unusual T-shaped configuration. The front nine plays mainly along the shoreline and offers excellent views across the North Sea. The Medal Course features in the Top 100 Courses in the World.
The Broomfield Course is ideal for juniors, families and those wishing to ‘get their eye in’ before taking on the Medal course. Being relatively flat, the Broomfield can be somewhat deceptive as it still requires a high degree of accuracy from the tees to small greens. Many visitors play the Broomfield in the morning before a hearty clubhouse lunch in preparation for the Medal course in the afternoon.
A warm welcome is always guaranteed in the three local clubs; Montrose Caledonia, Montrose Mercantile and Royal Montrose.
Essential Information at a glance, for YourGolfDay
- Coursetype:Two Links Courses
- Number Of Holes:Medal Course and Broomfield Course are 18 holes
- Yardage:Medal Course 6585yds, Broomfield Course 4822yds
- Par:Medal Course 70, Broomfield Course 66
- Bar/Restaurant:There are 3 affiliated Clubhouses, check the website
- Drinks/Snacks:There are 3 affiliated Clubhouses, check the website
- Changing Facilities:There are 3 affiliated Clubhouses, check the website
- Shower Facilities:There are 3 affiliated Clubhouses, check the website
- Pro-Shop:Yes, well stocked with all golfing the essentials
- Golf Club Hire:Golf Club hire available
- Buggy Hire:Yes
- Trolley Hire:Pull and Powakaddy
- Practice Area:No, short game practice facility available
- Putting Practice:Yes
- To Confirm All Details and Further Information:Visit the Website
Location and Route Planning